Tuesday, September 17, 2013

"How the RhyNoceros Got Her Hat"












      How the RhyNoceros Finally Got Her "Squeezle Skin" Hat   



  When I was a little girl, I was absolutely in love with all things "Mercer Mayer".  The entire "Little Monsters" series, was completely brilliant. The imaginative stories, coupled with the  abundant illustrations; they were all perfect. But, no book captivated me quite like the classic:

  "How the Trollusk Got His Hat"


   Synopsis: It is a story about a kind little monster with a junky hat, who - through a series of small misadventures- makes a new friend and gets himself a first class, fancy, top-o-the-line,
 "Squeezle Skin" hat. 



                           






Being one of 9 children, and for many years, the baby, I had a myriad of crazy nicknames. By far, the most embarrassing of all those was;
"Squeezle Skin".  

 It was my love of this book, and my incessant request at every gift giving holiday, for "my very own Squeezle Skin hat" that earned me the nickname. Not only did the nickname stick with me FOR LIFE, but it has taken on many different forms. To this day, my Mother refers to me as "The Squeeze" or even "Squeezelda", more often than I'd like. (Just kidding. I love it.) 


**SPOILER ALERT**
Since neither "Trollusks" nor "Squeezles" actually exist, i never got the hat. Depressing... I know. 

That is, until NOW! 



Last week, while strolling by my FAVORITE vintage Shop in Amsterdam , Rosa Rosa's, something quite majestic caught my eye.... 
Could it be? Just sitting there, in the window?? Is that what I think it is??

A REAL SQUEEZLE SKIN HAT??? 






I rushed inside to check it's legitimacy. It was, indeed, a genuine 
Squeezle Skin tophat, made in 1920's,  Poland.

I put it on my head, and it was as if it had been waiting for me my whole life. 


Yes, I am 31. Yes, I know that Squeezles and Trollusks are the things of make believe. I can't help but feel immensely proud and satisfied, that after so many years of dreaming, I have finally procured my hat. 




(Photo details: Micro Macrame choker tutorial to come soon. 
Circle Bone necklace and Piano scarf pictured above also from Rosa Rosa's.)








  

   


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing the story of how you went to the edge of nowhere and got your hat. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQp7ZVQiGKI

    ReplyDelete